The winter doldrums are upon us; short days, long, cold nights, and unfortunately, uncomfortable, itchy skin. If you’re one of the 32 million people in the United States who suffers from eczema, this article is for you. No longer does the thought of cold weather have to fill you with dread at the thought of a wintertime eczema flare-up.
Oatmeal and peppermint are here for the rescue.
But First, Here’s What You Need to Know About Eczema
Eczema, also known as atopic dermatitis, is a skin condition that causes inflammation, a rash, and red, itchy skin that can, at times, seem unbearable. Itching from a flare-up can prove so excruciating that it can hinder your ability to sleep and have a significant effect on your daily life.
Flare-ups most often occur when the skin becomes overly dry, which is a common occurrence in winter when the windows are shut and the heat is turned up.
Additional reasons for winter flare-ups include:
- extra layers of clothing
- extra blankets on your bed at night
- excessively hot showers or baths
While it’s common to seek warmth in the winter months, the abrupt change from cold to hot can lead to irritation and trigger your eczema symptoms. But don’t fret – if you’re still struggling from a flare-up, there is a remedy to soothe that irritated, eczema-afflicted skin.
Make a Vegan Peppermint and Oatmeal Eczema Bath
The last thing you want to do during an eczema flare-up is irritating your skin further by giving in to the urge to scratch. That is why it is so important to give yourself some relief as soon as you feel the onset of a flare-up.
We recommend making an oatmeal & peppermint bath. The oatmeal will help bring moisture back into the skin and the powerful, sweet smell of peppermint, in and of itself, is enough to soothe skin “on fire.”
Peppermint oil is largely safe when applied topically, however, please note:
- Peppermint is more highly concentrated than most other essential oils, so we recommend diluting one to three drops of peppermint oil in every two teaspoons of your preferred carrier oil.
- For overly sensitive skin, even the safest of essential oils should be diluted in a carrier oil like jojoba, almond, or coconut oil.
- Be sure to use only organic, high-quality oils from trusted and reputable sources.
Here’s what you need when an eczema flare-up rears its head:
- ½ cup oats (rolled or instant will both work)
- 5-7 drops of peppermint oil
- 1 cup powdered coconut milk
- Grind the oats into a fine powder in a blender or food processor.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and put it into a sealed container.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the mixture to a warm bath and stir.
- Relax for 30-40 minutes.
- When you’re done, pat the skin dry with a soft towel. Don’t rub – it irritates the skin!
If you’re not a fan of the kitchen…
CBDMEDIC™ has packaged the stellar combo of peppermint and colloidal oatmeal into our Eczema Therapy Medicated Ointment.
Colloidal oatmeal, the active ingredient in our ointment, contains starches that help it to retain water and act as a skin protectant.
The peppermint oil is a key ingredient because it calms angry skin and provides a cooling sensation, a true gift when you feel that your skin is on fire. This can help you fight the urge to scratch.
When the peppermint oil and oatmeal are combined, they help the skin gain back some of the moisture and protect it from the cold winter weather.
Now That You Know How to Find Eczema Relief
There’s no need to be gripped with anxiety at the thought of excessively cold weather or the constant temperature change you’re faced with when going inside to outside and back again. You now have a high-quality, natural ointment like CBDMEDIC’s Eczema Therapy Medicated Ointment at your fingertips. The soothing effects of peppermint and colloidal oatmeal, coupled with the moisture-retaining properties that colloidal oatmeal brings, will have you itching to get outside to play in the snow.
Disclaimer: This information is for educational purposes only. It has not been approved by the FDA to diagnose, treat, prevent, cure, or mitigate any diseases or conditions. We use CBD in our products for cosmetic purposes only.