Aging is inevitable, but you can slow the lines of time on your face with face yoga.
Reliving the sins of the past becomes a very real thing when it comes to your skin, especially around age 25. This is when a communication breakdown occurs between the layers of the skin and elastin, collagen, and hyaluronic acid supplies all start to deplete; leaving you with fine lines, deep wrinkles, uneven skin tone, and skin that’s dry, creepy, sagging, or even itchy.
You could just be ones of those people blessed with good genes to keep the signs of age showing up—or you could follow healthy skin habits, including:
- practice safe sun habits including wearing hats, sunscreen, or staying out of the sun at the prime hours of the day (between 12pm-3pm)
- drink minimal amounts of alcohol
- drink lots of water
- eat a diet abundant in antioxidant-rich foods like leafy green vegetables, salmon, avocados, and berries; you may be able to slow the signs of aging.
Something else you can do to slow the signs of aging is face yoga. Yes, you read that right. Face yoga is a real thing and we are here to explain to you exactly what it is and how it works.
Face yoga is a series of facial exercises intended to prevent premature signs of aging, and it does so by forcing you to relax the face, thus smoothing out wrinkles where you frequently hold tension.
Doing facial exercises on a regular basis can also help stimulate the production of collagen and elastin, giving you firmer-looking skin. Applying pressure to various points along the face will slow the clock on sagging skin since doing so works to strengthen muscles that don’t get a workout otherwise.
- 1 Here are 5 Facial Exercises you Can Try Anywhere, Any Time of Day
- 2 Try a Facial Cleanser with Naturally-Derived Ingredients to Enhance and Maintain Youthful Skin
- 3 Takeaway
Here are 5 Facial Exercises you Can Try Anywhere, Any Time of Day
1. Make a surprise face to decrease 11 lines and marionette lines
“11 lines” are the stubborn lines that show up between the eyebrows. Holding this expression will counterbalance the act of constant scowling or furrowing your brow in intense concentration.
- Simply widen your eyes as much as you can and hold until your eyes begin to water.
- Widen your mouth as wide as you can, as if you’ve just heard shocking news.
- Release and repeat a total of 5 times.
2. Reduce your forehead lines with “Forehead Flatteners”
As a bonus, this facial exercise also serves as a nice a self-massage. The goal of this face yoga pose is to reduce wrinkles along the forehead.
- Using clean hands, gently smooth your fingers from the center of your forehead out toward your temples. Be careful not to apply too much pressure.
- Repeat 10 times.
3. Lift your cheeks, no fillers required
This exercise strengthens the muscles of the cheeks, while lifting and toning them at the same time.
- Keeping the lips firmly pressed together, puff out the cheeks as far as you can.
- Hold for a few seconds and release.
- Repeat for a total of 5 times.
4. Get rid of necklines with the “Tech Neck Tightener”
In this modern era of smart devices, the skin is faced with a new enemy: tech neck.
Notice any horizontal creases on your neck? They might be a by-product of looking down at your phone. Ideally, the best way to prevent tech neck is to hold your phone or smart device at eye level, but if you already spot some creases, try this move:
- With shoulders relaxed, lift your chin toward the ceiling. You should feel a nice, gentle stretch in the neck and chin.
- Keeping the chin lifted, alternate between puckering your lips and sticking your tongue out, holding each for about five seconds.
- Repeat three times.
5. Tighten your double chin with the “Jowl Buster”
The Jowl Buster is not only intended to eliminate the dreaded turkey neck, but can help tighten sagging cheeks, as well, by improving elasticity.
- Pull your entire face to one side, making a sideways kiss-face.
- Hold for 10 seconds and repeat on the other side.
- Repeat three more times.
Try these exercises a few times a week, just as you would any exercise routine. You’ll be surprised how many new muscles you find in your face that you never knew you had. So start out easy and work your way up.
These exercises are a great addition to your full body yoga routine too. We especially love face yoga with the cat/cow pose.
Try a Facial Cleanser with Naturally-Derived Ingredients to Enhance and Maintain Youthful Skin
In addition to making face yoga a part of your daily (or three-times daily) routine, it’s important to follow-up your facial exercise routine with a solid skincare regimen. That all starts with using the right cleanser.
CBDMEDIC™’s Natural Foaming Facial Cleanser will leave your skin feeling refreshed, healthy, and hydrated. Gentle enough for sensitive skin, our cleanser uses a naturally-derived, proprietary formula of essential oils, organic glycerin, and THC-free hemp extract to moisturize the skin and deliver a soothing, cooling sensation intended to wash away the stresses of your day without drying out the skin or clogging your pores.
This non-drying cleanser is a sure-fire way to help boost the results of your face yoga regimen and keep your skin looking youthful.
Skincare that cares for the planet
It’s also important to note the importance of using naturally-derived skincare products not only for skin health, but also for environmental health. Using products with chemical toxins have repercussions that reach far beyond your own health and well-being. When you wash your face with products containing chemicals, they flow down the drain and pollute waterways and cause harm to the natural world
To learn more about how to keep your skin and our planet healthy, read our previous blog post: Clean Body, Clean Earth: Keeping Our Skin and Earth Healthy.
Natural solutions to skin health like face yoga can certainly help boost collagen production in your face, leaving you with firmer, younger-looking skin. Give these exercises a try and see for yourself. And be sure to keep your face clean with a plant-based face wash that’s good for your skin and the planet. Looking to improve your yoga practice? Read our article and take your yoga to the next level as well as relieving any back pain you may have.