Nothing says you care than a gift that comes from the heart…or the hands. This Valentine’s Day, why not give your partner, or even your friends, the gift of a relaxing, customized massage? And why not do it without spending a ton of money on a spa day or massage gift certificate? Even if you’re not super experienced in the ways of massage, that’s okay. Giving a massage to someone you care about is all about the experience and strengthening the bond you have through touch.
Here are five tips to help you give the gift of massage with your own two hands. Literally.
- 1 1. Set the mood for your massage
- 2 2. Start Your Massage with Something Sweet
- 3 3. Give Him or Her a Light Touch That Shows You Care
- 4 4. Give a Unique Massage Experience With an Aromatic CBD Massage Oil
- 5 5. Seal Your Massage With a Closing Ritual—and Make it Your Own
- 6 You Can Make a Massage Experience Your Own
- 7 More DIY Natural Recipes You Can Try at Home
1. Set the mood for your massage
When giving a massage, ambiance is everything. The mood you create will set the tone for the entire massage experience. Comfort and relaxation are key.
- Set the mood with a clear space — Make sure the room is clean and free from clutter.
- Set mood lighting — If possible, turn the lights down low or place candles throughout the room. In the event that dimming the lights or lighting candles isn’t an option, invest in an eye pillow to block out the light.
- Set the mood with scents — If you’ve got an essential oil diffuser, fill the room with a soothing scent like lavender, or ask your partner what scent they’d prefer.
- Set the mood music — Play some soothing music, ocean waves, or nature sounds to create a sanctuary of calm.
2. Start Your Massage with Something Sweet
Solidify the bond between you and your partner or friend by taking some time before their massage to sit and enjoy each other’s company.
- Sip a cup of herbal tea together — Converse about your day/week or share your feelings while sipping some herbal tea or sharing something sweet.
- Offer a romantic dessert to nibble — Perhaps a slice of dark chocolate cake or strawberries dipped in chocolate fondue will help kickstart your partner into a relaxing mood.
3. Give Him or Her a Light Touch That Shows You Care
Start with a light touch…or use more intense pressure, if that’s what your partner likes. Communication is key, so make sure both you and your partner keep an open dialog throughout the experience.
The gift of a customized massage can be an exercise in listening, as well as giving.
Another important tip is for both parties to recognize that you may not be a professional when it comes to giving a massage. If you’re on the receiving end, trust your partner. If you’re giving the massage, do so with confidence and self-love.
The experience is supposed to be fun, as well as a way to help your partner unwind, decompress, and let go of the stresses of the day. Relax and enjoy yourself – your partner will be able to tell if you’re holding any tension.
4. Give a Unique Massage Experience With an Aromatic CBD Massage Oil
When giving someone a massage, the make-or-break moment factor is in the massage oil you choose. An excellent choice is CBDMEDIC™ Massage Therapy Pain Relief Oil. Not only does this massage oil penetrate deep into sore, tired muscles and offer gentle pain relief with its main ingredients of menthol and camphor, but the aromatherapy benefits are out of this world. The scents of frankincense, myrrh, and honeysuckle make for a soothing experience guaranteed to lull your partner into a state of deep relaxation.
If that is not enough to entice your partner or friend, the natural emollients like CBD hemp oil, jojoba seed oil, argan oil, and coconut oil might. These soothing ingredients glide on smoothly and nourish the skin. Anyone who experiences this oil is bound to feel as if they just stepped out of a spa.
But the delivery of the oil to the skin is still important. That’s where your care comes back into play.
Warm the oil in order to provide a better massage experience. No one wants cold liquid dripping down their back, except on a really hot day. But that hardly communicates romance. Nothing will ruin the mood you’ve set faster than making your partner flinch or tense up as soon as cold oil hits their skin.
To warm the oil:
- microwave a bowl of water
- place the bottle of oil in the bowl
- cover the bowl with a towel to keep the water and the oil warm
- pour a small amount of the oil into your hands and gradually apply it in just the areas you are working (Don’t slather it on all at once)
5. Seal Your Massage With a Closing Ritual—and Make it Your Own
Whether you end with a kiss, a hug, or a cup of tea, sealing your massage session with some sort of closing ritual is as important as the mood you set throughout. This could be as elaborate as reading a love poem, perhaps from Rumi’s collection, the king of love poetry. Think, “How much do I love thee? Let me count the ways?”
Or you could simply sit quietly with your eyes closed for a few moments. Leave them a little love note or handwritten affirmation before sending them on their way or continuing the experience on with whatever else you have planned for the evening.
Massage can be a truly soothing experience, but it can be a wonderful bonding experience, as well. It is one that creates a closeness and an intimacy regardless of whether you’re giving this to someone you love romantically or platonically.
Take your time and handle your partner — and the whole experience — with great care.
You Can Make a Massage Experience Your Own
Follow these five tips and you’re guaranteed to create an unforgettable Valentine’s Day experience that can’t be bought. Small gestures go a long way in the matters of the heart.
Disclaimer: This information is for educational purposes only. It has not been approved by the FDA to diagnose, treat, prevent, cure, or mitigate any diseases or conditions. We use CBD in our products for cosmetic purposes only.
More DIY Natural Recipes You Can Try at Home